Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brief GenCon Recap

Well I'm back. I actually got back late Monday afternoon, but this is the first spare moment I've had to blog. As usual I had a pile of work waiting for me. I slept for 10 hours Monday night and by my calculations that brought my average for the preceding 7 days up to just about 5 hrs/night. Last night I got around eight, and I've had a devilish time keeping my eyes open all day. Obviously getting two extra hours of sleep on one day is not going to be sufficient to catch me up on sleep.

I played a lot of different game systems while I was there. I ran a 4E conversion of G3, I played a 1E game of "Lost Caverns of Tjoscanth". I went 3-1 in a Dreamblade tournament (only one person went 4-0 and that was a friend of mine). I played a bunch of different board games. I played a very fun session of "Call of Cthulhu". I did two sessions of "Tower of Gygax" a 1E Tomb of Horror style setup that was running 24 hours a day. One of the sessions was the 2 am to 4 am slot... Most of the fun, though, came from seeing friends that I only get to see at GenCon, which is probably the biggest reason why I can't imagine missing it.

Aozora mentioned in the comments that there's been quite the uproar in the gamer community over this comment by a McCain spokesman:

It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman's memory of war from the comfort of mom's basement, but most Americans have the humility and gratitude to respect and learn from the memories of men who suffered on behalf of others.

It's was kind of a dumb thing to say, but I think people maybe making too big of a deal about it. Or to put it another way I don't want to find myself as part of a minority that takes offense to the smallest slight. I think it's more interesting that, at least in the minds of this particular staffer all D&D players are mother's-basement-dwelling Obama supporters, which seems like a weird, and very specific demographic...

Supposedly this staffer issued an apology (though I can't find an official source):

This campaign is committed to increasing the strength, constitution, dexterity, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma scores of every American.

All of which is not to dispute the point that McCain could be a lot more tech-savvy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the Onion News Network, McCain has a solid lead among Magic the Gathering Cousins, 62 to 38%

See "Latest Poll Reveals 430 New Demographics That Will Decide Election."

8:31 AM  
Blogger aozora said...

My first thought was the comment meant Obama was D&D aficionado!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home