Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Cubs

100 years ago the Cubs last won the World Series. This year they ended with the best record in the National League. For the first time since 1908 they went to the playoffs two years in a row. ESPN picked them to take it all. Truly it seems that the stars are aligned. They took this sense of destiny and promptly lost the first game and, at this moment, seem well placed to lose the second game (they're behind 6-0 in the bottom of the 5th). If they lose this game they'll be in a pretty bad position: down 0-2 and heading to LA, one Cubtastic loss away from a winless post season...

I mostly don't like baseball, but when I follow/watch the Cubs I feel like I'm observing history, and I like history. I have a feeling (though I'm trying not to jinx it, probably too late) that what's going to be really historic is their continued inability to win it all. But I suppose they could still pull it out, however I don't think history is on their side.

My distaste of baseball is evidenced by the fact that those two short paragraphs was all I had to say on the subject... So I think I'm going to end here.

You can't spell "fungi" without "fun"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not observing history, you are MAKING history. You have doomed the Cubs to another century without a World Series.

You're just lucky I don't send the Cubs nation your address!

12:28 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

First Billy Sianis, now Ross, poor Cubs.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Just wow. Your destructive power is awesome to behold.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home