Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco de Mayo and New Order

While I was going through my daily links this morning before work. I came across this story about the band New Order in Slate. While my favorite music changes hourly, New Order is always in the rotation. However whenever I talk to people about music (we have a song-of-the-day list at work which frequently sparks some debate) they never come up. So it's nice when the occasional article or cover song pops up and confirms that my own appreciation of the band is not an insular esteem.

Well it's Cinco de Mayo today (the aforementioned SOD list has already been sent out with a collection of Latino music). I got the obligatory dig in against both my Latino co-workers and my French boss, by pointing out that defeating the French was nothing to brag about, let alone celebrate. But after doing that I wanted to make sure I had all my facts straight, so I looked up Cinco de Mayo on Wikipedia. One part I hadn't heard (and this is Wikipedia, so I suppose it could be apochraphyl) is that, "the Mexicans routed the remaining French soldiers with a combination of their tenacity, inhospitable terrain, and a stampede of cattle set off by local peasants."

I guess one possible explanation for never hearing the part about the cattle is that it's been suppressed by the French. I mean losing to the Germans is actually nothing to be ashamed of, most people did, but being routed by bovines? Now that is embarrassing.

French military victories

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog, funny, not as whiny as yesturday's.

So, when are you going to go riding your bicycle?

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there was an ancient military victory where one side won by abandoning the town and leaving behind a lot of spoiled honey, thus incapacitating the enemy.

IIRC, Cinco de Mayo is actually a bigger deal in the US than it is in Mexico itself, although the "phenomenom" has been growing south of the border as well.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home