Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Mostly I lose, but occasionally I win

In between the vacation and trying to catch up, I haven't had the chance to play much Dreamblade recently, but I managed to squeeze in a game last night. This is a cue for all the people who don't like game related posts to close the browser and come back tomorrow. I was playing online with a friend of mine. I've played him more than anyone else and previous to this I had only beat him once, and then only because I had a much better Warband than him. Two of the games (as I may have blogged about) I was way up and he managed to come back and beat me. As a result of this I decided that I was being too agressive, that I was over-extending myself to win turns and that these were ultimately Pyrrhic victories.

So last night I played quite conservatively, which mostly consisted of making sure that my miniatures were never easy pickings. As a result by the end only one creature was killed, which is quite a change for me generally all sorts of stuff dies, and unlike previous games where I strongly contested my 3-5 scoring row, this game was mostly fought around the center. I've decided that as a rule of thumb that in general you should win by as few conquest points as possible. If you're winning by a large margin what that probably means is that you're over extended and when the push back comes you're going to be in a lot of trouble.

In any case it was a lot of fun. I pulled a particularly cool move where I attacked, got some blades, and used them to swap in a Jack in the Box from the edge of the board and then skirmished the JitB into another cell where I attacked and disrupted one of his big bad guys. It was pretty sweet. Of course as usual I had a real hard time falling asleep. I'm not sure if it was the dreamblade, Coke or the early evening nap, but one of the three really kept me up, even though my body cried out for slumber.

Eye of the tiger

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't I just close the browser and come back tomorrow ... why?

5:26 PM  
Blogger Medsker said...

The same reason I didn't...you keep thinking he has to say something interesting eventually, gaming can't really be this boring...can it?

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home