Monday, May 15, 2006

Shorn

It's probably been a year since I last cut my hair, and it was pretty long, down to my shoulders at least. I also had let my beard grown out as well, so overall I was pretty shaggy (you may recall one of my comments referring to me as "Grizzly Adams"). Well that all came off on Saturday. I shaved and razored my head and my beard. I think I would have looked okay if I had kept the beard, but without any facial hair (not counting eyebrows and eyelashes) I look pretty weird.

Shaving my head has uncovered a multitude of scars. I was a pretty clumsy kid (in part because my head accounted for more than half of my mass, so I was quite top heavy) and I fell down and cut my head open a lot. However the most distressing scar I discovered was in the middle of this rather large dent kind of right on top of my skull. When I asked my Mom about it she said, "Oh that must have been where the dog bit you when you were 3." I have no memory of this, (perhaps for obvious reasons) but it sounds quite tramatic. Based on the physical scar I can only imagine what the mental scars must be like.

Looking like a freak

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may see me carrying a sign that says "Mr. Richey" when I pick you up at the airport -- I don't think I'd be able to recognize you.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I look pretty weird."
I have to agree with that statement. One of the most insightful, self discription you've made in a while.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's my understanding that this head shaving is part of a church lesson on Samson. If that's still the incentive, then you might need to do more. The lutherans have set the bar quite high in fostering public interest in the bible. (Or have they set the bar quite low???)

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home