Thursday, December 21, 2006

Something Epic

I'd like to do something epic next year. I've sort of narrowed it down to an epic backpacking trip, but it may be an epic something else. There is of course a perverse irony to contemplating an extended back-packing trip at a point when I'm out of shape and unable to go through a full range of motion because of the pain in my shoulder, but as usual at this point I'm convinced that by summertime I'll be in great shape.

One route that seems pretty cool is the John Muir Trail. It runs 211 miles from Yosemite to Mount Whitney. My guess is that with the right preperation it could be done in two weeks which would amount to 10 days off of work, or about half my PTO... So it'd be a big investment not just in money and preparation but of course in time as well. Hard to say whether this is the year for it or not, but it would be nice to do something of note, something I can look back on with some pride.

It goes almost without saying that the window for that sort of thing just continues to get smaller, particularly epic feats of a physical nature. Though many would argue that with my slight build and lack of coordination epic physical feats were never really in the cards for me. In any case I'll let you know how it goes. Perhaps the John Muir Trail will require more than one year of preperation, that this year we'll do something more modest and next year we'll tackle that one.

Fancy plans, with pants to match

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if I'm still here in Cali, I'd be happy to help with what I can.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Medsker said...

Lets see we did the Windriver thru hike which was under a hundred in 10 days if I recall so consequently it should take 20 days...of course we only hiked 10-12 hours a day so it could be done in 14 days. It would be 15 miles a day so if you hiked for 10 hours that is only 1.5 miles an hour. I know that doesn't sound like much but when your pack is heavy enough to go for 14 days and you are going over 11,000 foot passes you tend to go a little slower.

8:59 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

There are two places where you can resupply, so you wouldn't have to necessarily carry all of the food from the beginning.

And I'm still bitter you did the Windriver thru hike while I was gone.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Medsker said...

That would make it easier to re-supply along the way. I have to tell you (not to pour lemon juice in an old wound)that I don't blame you for being bitter. That was one of the "hiking" highlights of my life. I will always remember it as being a challenge, a victory and a bonding experience. Similar to climbing Gannett Peak. We will have to do it again someday when your boys are old enough to carry their share...both the thru hike and Gannett Peak

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about riding your first Century?

You can train up for it in a year.
Ride with me in May, you can start training for it on your stationary bike now. The SLC-Antelope Island ride is nice and flat. It'll be a good prep for your hike.

When are you going to replace your bike?

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't replaced your bike yet? Have you already spent the insurance money?

10:35 AM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

No since I wasn't going to ride in the winter I figured I could wait and do some research. The insurance money is in the savings account.

But of course you do realize that money is fungible right?

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home