Monday, April 09, 2007

Movies

I managed to get through not one, but two of our Netflix movies over the weekend. The first was "A Prairie Home Companion", which I thoroughly enjoyed. I confess to some trepidation in viewing another Altman film after being pummeled and left for dead by "Short Cuts". But this was more of a Keillor movie than an Altman movie and as such it oozed a nostalgic charm which despite getting into everything was nevertheless impossible to resist.

The second movie was "An Inconvenient Truth". I had watched the trailer back when the movie was first released, and the chief complaint I came away with was his (seeming) assertion that rising sea levels would create millions of refugees. Now I mentioned this point before, but let me tell you a story which might help illustarte how silly this concern is. Between 1982 and 1986 the Great Salt Lake rose nearly 12 feet. During that time My father worked for a solar pond company at the edge of the lake (you pump the lake water into shallow pools, wait for the water to evaporate and harvest what's left). Obviously if these ponds flooded that would be a bad thing so they built a dike. Yes a dike, an invention that the people worried about rising sea levels have apparently never heard of...

Now the point about a dike is that it obviously has to cost less than then land it's protecting, now I don't know if you're familiar with the smelly, salty, largely dead areas around a inland salt sea but in terms of value it's some of the cheapest real estate in the world and yet it was still economically justified to build a dike that kept the waters at bay for most of the raise in water level. The dike did eventually break, but not until 1985 I believe. Now imagine the economic justification for building a dike around downtown Manhattan, now further imagine that you're not talking about 12 feet in 4-5 years, but rather 2.5 feet in 100 years (and that's the high estimate).

Look I'm not saying that's dikes don't have some issues, like keeping you from seeing the ocean from the center of town, or reconstructing ports and docks, but the Dutch seem to do just fine with them and Rotterdam is the (or at least used to be) the biggest port in the world. And I'm not saying that there aren't other issues, not so easily superable, associated with global warming, but to go on and on about the horrible refugee problem is just, well retarded.

And no Al never mentioned Nuclear Power

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how we ever made it out of the Middle Ages when the world was warmer then than it is now.

Oh yeah, we did fine. It was when it chilled back down that things went to pot.

Al Gore::weather as Barbara Streisand::Shakespeare.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Alberta said...

Wouldn't these refugees (at least the US ones) be among the richest people in the world? I would think that would disqualify them from being true refugees.

7:55 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

I haven't seen "A Prairie Home Companion" so I'll skip to the other topic.

Without privy to all the scientific studies I'm guessing the results are based upon the worst possible outcome at every possible stage, thus geometrically snowballing into the Worst Thing Ever (tm).

I've heard giving up automobiles would save us.
I've heard giving up meat (going vegetarian) would save us.
I've heard every squirm around nuke plants in parallel to all the other "news".

To top it off the two most benefited by Global Warming are the two most strongest advocators: Switzerland and the U.K. "save our frigid winters!"

I am obviously in no shape to solve the problem.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind also that all that ethanol in Brazil is made by... cutting down rain forests. Weird how no one cares about that? I think massive deforestation would kind of hurt against global warming.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home