Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Parkinsons Law

Parkinson's Law states "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." It would be nice it this were actually true, my work overflows the time available into unavailable time, well not really unavailable time, rather time which should be spent sleeping. Going into yesterday evening I was optimistic that I wouldn't have to stay up as late last night as I did the night before, but as usual my optimism was misplaced. It was nearly 3:00 am before I got to bed.

The problem as I see it is first off, people (myself included) constantly underestimate how long the "finishing touches" take. To put it another way, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time and then the last 10% takes the other 90%... The second issue is that, particularly when you're dealing with something as fluid as a presentation, there's always more to be done, one more read through, one more revision, one more chart, etc.

The good news is, I just got off the phone with my friend, and it went really well. He's of the opinion that they're going to make us an offer, now whether we accept the offer is another question, it may be not enough money, or they may want too big of a percentage, but even if that is the case, it will be a huge confidence boost to get an offer, plus it gives us a certain amount of leverage with other investors, you don't want to have to say "We already turned down a better offer than yours," but it does provide one with a certain amount of hand if you have to.

Not so much sleepy as enervated


Blogger aozora said...

Maybe you should have invoked Hofstadter's law "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home