Sunday, October 14, 2007

Laser

Well here I am blogging at the 11th hour again. It's not literally the 11th hour, but since I was kind of thinking I might be in bed by now, it has the same affect. The big news is that I bought a laser. Actually my friend was so desperate for someone to share his laser joy with that he offered to buy it for me and allow me to pay him back on an installment plan. Well obviously I couldn't pass that up, so there you have it. Here's a link to the model of laser we selected. According to the website it will do the following:

  • Beam visible in the night sky (city)
  • Beam visible indoors without smoke/fog (lights on)
  • Pop balloons
  • Melt through thicker plastics (ex. electrical tape)
  • Etch into black leather
  • Ignite matches without collimator optic accessory
  • Ignite cap gun caps


And though the company we bought it from doesn't like to make distance claims, with good visibility it can probably be seen for nearly 100 miles. As you can imagine I'm pretty excited. I've wanted a laser since I was a little boy, so to finally get one that is actually a LASER and not some wimpy little laser pointer is the fulfillment of a very long held dream.

If you have to ask why, you don't understand

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... this could either be the greatest idea or the worst idea ever. Let us know what things/small animals you try your laser on.

10:28 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

Didn't you get into trouble for playing with matches as a child?

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot one other thing your laser will do: blind someone!

I am compelled to tell you about a guy who lived down the hall from me in the dorm. This guy, we'll call him Fred, had a laser. And he had a dream. He dreamt of finding out for himself whether or not staring into a laser really would blind someone.

Fred was not brave enough, or foolhardy enough, to try this himself. No. Instead he asked everyone on the floor if they would be his guinea pig, including yours truly.

In fact, Fred was the room mate of the cute guy who first invited me to play D&D. I turned Cute Guy down because I was so scared of creepy Laser Fred.

Do me a favor, Ross. DO NOT bring your laser to GenCon. If you do, I'll be convinced you're Fred's evil twin.

2:44 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

Come on!? You really think I would shine it in someone's eyes? I understand that while it resembles a very cool toy, that it is also for most intents and purposes a weapon. That is precisely why in addition to the base laser I bought a lock for it:

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9

If I ever bring out the laser in your presence I'll make sure to also provide you with googles, just so you can feel safe. Deal?

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*pouts*

You just don't get my sense of humor, dude.

2:54 PM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

I guess not, though blog comments are not the ideal humor vector for really clever people, like yourself.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Now you sound like my husband. :D

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home