Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bragging

Complaining about how bad things are is easy. Everyone does it. As Drew Carey said:


Oh, you hate your job? Why didn’t you say so? There is a support group for that. Its called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.


On the other hand boasting about how good things are is more difficult. People may get tired of whining and complaining, but they'll tolerate it for awhile. But flaunting your good fortunate generally provokes immediate hostility. Maybe I'm overstating things, but I don't anyone would dispute the truism that people will tolerate complaining for a lot longer than they tolerate boasting. And yes I know there's a third way where you neither boast nor complain, but that has it's own difficulties. I mean if you do that you have to actually be interesting...

Anyway in the midst of all my complaining I thought I would brag for awhile.

-I have an awesome wife. When I told people at my old job that I was quitting to start a business at least a half a dozen people came up and told me that they had always wanted to do that, but that their wives wouldn't let them. She's awesome. She's kept things going even though I'm working 10-14 hours a day, she keeps the family running smoothly. I couldn't do any of it without her.

-My kids are amazing. They're always excited to see me. They're amazingly understanding about my schedule. They're all great to talk to, I love hanging out with them. They're smart inquisitive and really, really cute.

-I may not be making much money right now, but I'm in control of my destiny. I get to succeed or fail on my own.

-I get to be part of creating something completely new. I get to be part of turning nothing into something, of bringing into existence by sheer force of will.

-I'm involved in all the decisions, from the culture we want to create, to how the business spends money, and even what features we have.

So yeah it's scary and yeah it could collapse in a horrible and dramatic fashion, but I'll always have the fact that I put my ass on the line and I went out there and did it. And of course as I already mentioned that was only possible because of an immensely patient long-suffering wife, and some really amazing kids.

As I mentioned people really don't like it when you boast, but if you thought this post was over the top, then you'd better hold your tongue the next time I complain.

That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brag all you want. Just don't inflict kittens on us again.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You can brag like that anytime. Starting a business is a lot of work, very admirable. Kudos to Liz, and hey, whatever happens you've got your wife & kids, and family is what matters anyway.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I totally agree that you have an amazing wife. She puts the rest of us to shame.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now your blog is starting to sound like your sister's blogs...

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home