Monday, June 26, 2006

I hate the 1st day back at work after a vacation

So I have returned. While it's very nice to be reunited with the wife and kids, going back to work and the mountain of e-mail and the problems that happened while I was gone is not especially enjoyable. The vacation was very enjoyable. I got the experience Catholicism in a way I never had before and I got to watch the world cup. It was nice. I stayed in the priory while I was there, so I got a really intimate view of that lifestyle. And although the celibacy, and living on $75 a month are big turn-offs, overall I was kind of jealous. This lasted until I had to sit through the liturgy, but that's another story.

I also finally got around to watching X3. I feel like it is in every way a worthy addition to the trilogy, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is not to say that I didn't have a few complaints, they're pretty small complaints, but I do have space to fill so I'll tell you what they are. I thought the direction was choppier than in the first two, the movie as a whole didn't flow as smoothly, and neither did some of the shots. Also, and this is what I sensed in the trailers, the dialogue wasn't quite as crisp as the first two. But as I said these are minor complaints...

As far as sports goes, the Tour starts Saturday, which is good, because I'm not sure I want to follow the World Cup any longer. Sunday's game between the Netherlands and Portugal was a farce, the referree had lost all control of the game, and ended up giving a world cup record 4 red cards. And then this morning a ref gives Italy a penalty kick in the 94th minute? Just let it go to overtime and let the game be decided there. When you give a penalty kick in the 94th minute then it's not the play or the players who are deciding the game it's the ref. Now I confess I didn't see the penalty, but unless there were actual martial arts involved I really don't like the idea of a 94th minute penalty kick.

Players win games, coaches lose games, and refs ruin games

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say I remember there being a World Cup where the refs stood out so much, but I've only watched the two previous ones.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The South Korean team ended with more points than the Japanese team, all is good in the world. :)

How is Ed doing?

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home