Friday, October 13, 2006

24 hours away

Well the Dreamblade tournament last night was a bust. I called the store on Wednesday to ask them when it was and the guy said 6:30. Turns out it was at 6:00 and at that point they only had two people so they decided not to have it, and those two left. So when we showed up at 6:20, that would have made 4, which was enough to hold it, but oh well... So me and my buddy did play two games while we were down there, I won the first and he slaughtered me on the second. I got what was possibly the worst combination of spawn rolls possible for the band I was playing.

The trip wasn't totally worthless. Previous to making the journey I figured, based on what I saw on the DCI site, that the Provo Dreamblade community was pretty big. After talking to the store owner for about an hour (and the fact that the Edge tournament before the 1k they couldn't come up with enough people to even hold the tournament) it looks like it's pretty small. His estimate was that maybe three people might make the journey up. So at this point my attendence estimate for tommorrows tournament is 10-20, whereas before it was 20-30. Also I had my Noble Dragon down there and a bunch of people wanted to see it, because no one from Provo had one.

I also had a very interesting conversation with a kid (I'm guessing he was 10) who was there. He wanted to know if Dreamblade was like Magic (the Gathering). I told him it was much better, mostly to see how all the people surrounding me who were playing magic would react. He wanted to know if it was more expensive. I told him that individual minis were more expensive than individual magic cards, and someone chimed up with "What about the Black Lotus?!?" And I clarified that I was talking about current minis and current cards. And the kids said, "Yeah the Black Lotus goes for like $2500." I retorted, "Yeah and it was printed before you were born, focus kid!" I then showed him some somewhat disturbing minis (a snake with a soul in his belly, a monster looking thing eating a brain) and told him not to narc on me to his mother. I ended by telling him that Magic had been around forever and it was much to late to get in on it, but Dreamblade was still young and if he really wanted to make a name for himself that was where he should go.

The important thing is to have fun

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Don't you have a Pokemon tourney you need to go to, kid?"

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"told him not to narc on me to his mother."
Spoken like a true dealer.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disturbing.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see a pic of the snake with the soul in his belly mini.

7:07 AM  
Blogger DireKobold said...

http://www.wizards.com/dreamblade/images/dbm_base_gallery/Carrion-Spiker.jpg

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, "Carrion-Spiker". Sweet! Thank you sir.

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home