Friday, October 20, 2006

No Gruesome Details

So I had "the procedure" yesterday. The "prep" was awful. As I mention in the title I'm trying to avoid any gruesome details, but in addition to a clear liquid diet for all of Wednesday (8 ounces of fluid/hour) there were some very powerful laxatives involved. I have no lingering pain, discomfort or even memory of the actual procedure, all of my complaints and problems come from the sedation.

I mentioned to them that the sedation I got with the endoscopy knocked me on my butt. So they looked up that procedure and found out how much they had used and said they would use less. As it was the nurse still told my wife that it was taking a really long time for me to recover. They even let her back to help me out, which they normally don't do. I remember more this time, though I still had to be taken out in a wheelchair. Fortunately we'd done valet parking so my wife didn't have to leave me in the lobby to drool on myself.

They gave me a basin when they released me, which is good, because each time on the way home when the car braked it woke me up and I felt like throwing up. I did eventually throw up on the walk into the house. Then I laid down and went to sleep. I woke up briefly at 3-ish, but after about 10 minutes I decided that I needed to go back to bed. In all from the time they administered the sedation I think I must have slept for around 7 hours. Even today I feel a little bit hung over (I've been told I can't make any major decisions for 24 hours).

Now there's a guy who can't hold his liquor

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same thing...several times this summer, as a matter of fact. When I went in for my first back episode, they morphined me so much that I threw up several times (or so I was later informed) and barely remember the next couple of weeks (I was also on Percocet). When the attacks happened again in July, I had vague memories of the month following. I hate those drugs. Luckily, it's only aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen now for me!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sympathies. I don't have the experience with the drugs but I've been through some "gruesome details".

No better excuse to focus on the next Dreamblade strategy.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home