Wednesday, June 20, 2007

There was an old women who swallowed a fly

The last couple of days I've had a headache. Symptomatically it has all the ear-marks of a tension headache, persumably brought on by stress. Monday afternoon I tried treating it with a couple of Excedrin Tension Headache pills. They're loaded with tons of caffiene and that evening I was doing okay, but I think the caffiene screwed up my sleep. It took me longer than normal to fall asleep and I woke up after about six hours of sleep and couldn't get back to sleep. As a result of not getting enough sleep, by the time the headache returned it was even worse.

So I left around 4:00 yesteday afternoon, and went home and laid down. I slept until about 6:45 and felt quite a bit better, but now I've got the problem of sleeping later that night. So at 9:00 I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by taking a muscle relaxant. Not only would that loosen up whatever was causing the headache, but it would help me sleep. I knew that in past taking a muscle relexant the night before had left me groggy the next morning, and I considered only taking half a pill, but eventually I decided that if I took it early enough (9:00 in this case) it would have worn off by the morning. Plus I was worried half a pill wouldn't do the trick.

You can probably guess what the moral of the story is. I'm really groggy and sleepy still, thus the title of the blog. I'm constantly overcorrecting on my treatment options. Instead of swallowing the muscle relaxant to catch the caffiene as it were it's just made the whole situation just that much worse. Though to be fair even with the grogginess I still feel a lot better today than yesterday.

Now if I can just stay awake

1 Comments:

Blogger aozora said...

Amazing isn't it? I've made a serious effort to consume no caffeine over the past few weeks and it is tough. That stuff is in everything! Even breath mints -- and you don't want me going without those on hot, humid summer afternoons at the office.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home