Monday, June 18, 2007

Voice Mail

So I go up to the Fathers and Sons campout on Friday, and we're pretty far from civilization, but when I first check my cell phone it's showing at least a couple of bars, which surprised me. I didn't think much more about it until I felt it vibrate. I checked and it said I had a new voice mail. Obviously I'd missed a call. So I pressed the button to check my mailbox, and nothing happened. I could see that it was trying to connect to the internet, so I let it sit for a moment and waited for it to finish what it was doing. Well next thing I know the screen as dimmed. I try and undim it and still, no response. Well I continue to wait and after another minute it shuts down entirely. I try waking it up, I try resetting it, I try every button I can think of, and finally I'm force to conclude that it's dead.

Normally it wouldn't have been that big of a deal I generally don't get that many calls, except from work when I'm on vacation. Once you toss in the fact that I knew I had a voice mail, I was driven to one inescapable conclusion, something bad had happened at work and they were trying to get ahold of me. So after stewing about it for 15 or 20 minutes I decided the only thing to do was borrow someone else's cell phone. That wasn't too hard, but when I tried to call work, there was no answer (this was after I got the recorded message) which is pretty odd in and of itself. I guess I could have waited for more than 10 rings, but since I was borrowing the phone I didn't want to abuse that, which is also why I didn't try calling again.

After this I stewed for another 30 minutes or so before I borrowing yet another phone. This time I did manage to get someone at work, and they told me everything was fine. But of course by this time my imagination had conjured much worse scenerios than a problem at work, but I couldn't figure out what button to push to get to my voicemail if I called my cell #. Eventually someone who also had a verizon, called their information and found out you just press # (which I thought I had tried).

So I finally got into my voice mail and discovered that it was my friend (the one I'm helping with the investment presentations) and that he had left a voice mail because he didn't want me to see his # on the caller ID and worry that something needed my attention. So yes, you heard that correctly, he left the voice mail in a specific and delibrate attempt to negate worry, so yeah, it had the exact opposite affect. when I got home on Saturday and plugged the phone in, it powered up and everything seems fine, with one exception. The little icon at the top of the screen that tells me I have voice mail won't go away, no matter how many times I check my voice mail, that icon continues to sit there, mocking me.

Lots of icons mock me

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my phone won't erase the voicemail icon I have to call on a different phone and leave myself a voicemail, retrieve it and then it goes away.

Fred

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see if I can make an smiley to mock you.

:-P

That will do.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a summer assignment where I'm on call once or twice a week, and when I'm at work, I carry two pagers, and when I go home, a pager and a cell.

I'm looking forward to going back to "boring old landline and an answering machine" Ed.

5:51 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

Whoa, definitely time to "unplug" as the line went in the Matrix.

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home