Monday, April 14, 2008

My Blackberry

For over a week it's been on my to-do list to get my new blackberry (the old job is making me give back my old cell phone) all set up, with all my contacts and get it customized so that it could get my e-mail remotely. Because I've had so much to do I've been putting it off, but I finally got around to it tonight. I wasn't very far in (I had disabled the default e-mail and downloaded a custom g-mail app) when I decided I could go no further until I figured out how to change the background image. Long time readers of my blog maybe familiar with my background/desktop/wallpaper obsession. I'm not sure why I put so much stock in changing my background image. I think it's because it very quickly establishes right off the bat, that this is my computer. I've customized it to my tastes, and as a result it does what I need it to do.

While I feel somewhat guilty at the time I spent finding a suitable background image. I don't really feel guilty about the time I'm taking to get the blackberry to work the way I want it to. I hate to say it, but I use my cell phone so much that any time I spend now will be more than recouped later in ease of use. I mean I only have to save a minute a day (on average) and that's worth 12 hours of my time. And my guess is that the 1 minute a day average is very conservative. Anyway if anyone knows any really cool tricks for the blackberry, free games, ssh clients, how permenantly get rid of the pre-installed FaceBook icon (not just hide it). I'm all ears.

Next we'll talk about why my weird perfectionism is going to make me transfer all my contacts by hand...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that NOT having a cell phone/Blackberry is the greatest time-saver. Ever.

6:58 AM  
Blogger hallamigo said...

Make sure you get the Rove Mobile File Manager - they just made it free for the blackberry. It does local and remote (ssh, ftp, win) file management.

http://ota.rovemobile.com/

Also look into the MobiPocket Reader so you can download manuals and others stuff from lds.org - there's a trick to getting it to work if you want to do it all OTA though - call me if you want as I don't feel like typing out a huge howto.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home