Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Movies

I watched a ton of movies during the vacation. Most of them were ones I'd already seen particularly those we watched while on the winter vacation, but I also saw quite a few I had never seen before. I thought I would make a list and give a capsule review:

The Man Who Knew Too Much: I'd seen parts of this before. A solid movie, but not Hitchcock's best. My wife loves it because it has Doris Day in it.

Tootsie: Another one I'd seen parts of but too long ago to remember anything. Very funny. Bill Murray gives us hints of his later brilliance.

March of the Penguins: Excellent. Surprisingly sad, enough so that it may not be appropriate for younger audiences.

The Lavender Hill Mob: A very early Alec Guinness movie. Good, but not great. Still it's short enough that it's worth watching.

Bullit: Awesome. See it for the car chase alone.

Little Miss Sunshine: The language is pretty bad, but other than that this is an exceptional movie. Best disfunctional family since the Tenenbaums.

Alice in Wonderland: A TV version from 1985 stars everyone from Scott Baio to Sid Caesar. Not bad, but I think it was more focused on all the cameos then the story.

Howl's Moving Castle: Miyazaki, what else needs to be said. Definitely worth seeing.

Budding Cinephile

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only thing I don't like about Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli is that a lot of the characters tend to be duplicates of their other movies.

One of my favorite Ghibli's is "Only Yesterday" (Omohide Poro Poro), but that's only available in Asia.

4:26 PM  
Blogger aozora said...

Awesome topic. I'm a complete Ghibli-nut. I'm trying to keep from hyperventilating as I type this.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home